Thursday, February 26, 2009

"Milk" and the Twinkie Defense

The minute Milk came out in the movie theaters on November 4, 2008 I knew this film would be important. The Oscars beat me to the recognition.

I really wanted to go see Milk before writing this blog. Really, I did. But the fact of the matter is that I'm cheap and only watch movies that are available at my local 99 cent video rental store, Video 95. I need only wait a few more months to get at it. I just don't want to come in late in the conversation.

Through I've learned that in times of recession to embrace this financial responsible side of myself. I also trust National Public Radio's (NPR) accounting and know enough about suicide to feel comfortable talking on this issue.

My mom passed by suicide in 1977 in New York City. I can only imagine what it must have been like for her. Dan White's suicide was a few years later after serving time in jail for murdering Harvey Milk and George Moscone. Two big cities. Same difficult time period for mental health. We still lack the kind of mental health support where recognition could work hand in hand with prevention, saving someone driven to their breaking point.

Do we even care?

Granted, I am not here to excuse White's wrong doing. However, I am here to reproach how a man can be driven to the edge and no help be available to pull him back from it.

Suicide has a funny way of leaving an indelible mark.

The sad part is there are probably those that feel justified in calling it a righteous exit. I beg to differ. The truth of the matter is that true living also means facing the music and living in the flesh life's lessons however painful they be.

White lost the opportunity to see the error of his ways.

I can now only dream of what an advocate he could have been had he given himself that opportunity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An interesting spin.