Sunday, January 18, 2009

Revelations

Suicide is such a difficult topic to talk about. It sure isn't sexy, warm or fuzzy. It produces some of the rawest of emotions. Shame, guilt, and anger, to name just a few.

I've been talking about suicide and The Afterw@rd for the last two years. In working to overcome the suicide demons, I raised money for organizations, walked 40-miles, truly put my business out on the curb e-mailing everyone I knew and their mother.

Yet it was only today that a good friend told me she had attempted once. Gladly, she's still here to talk about it. But the reason that triggered her revelation is not. She lost a former co-worker and friend to suicide last week. All the emotions came rushing back.

Everyone was thrown for a loop. No one saw the signs. No one guessed the pain. No one interceded. Now they live with the guilt, the what if, the why did he...

My friend sends me an email talking about how The Afterw@rd can make a difference.

I beg to differ. It is being in community that makes a difference. It is the letting go of the stigma, the raising of our awareness, the recognition of the signs, and the admittance that most deaths are avoidable, if we just faced the issue of "this" being a disease. It is about digging deeper, opting to not just scratch the surface of those around you.

Ask how people how they are doing. Then sitting back to listen.

That's what makes a difference. Caring for one another.

The Afterw@rd

No comments: