Monday, January 26, 2009

Just buck up and get over it.

Now, I like to consider myself a selective, erudite reader. However, every so often I may stumble into and stall at TMZ, erroneously click on an OMG! link, or turn my newspaper to the style section to see how non-hip I am today. Then, I shamefully and quickly move on to the news of the day.

But today was different.

Today I read something that struck me to my core. It even inspired me to dig deeper for the actual article. On January 23, 2009, Peter Davis interviewed Danny Masterson (That 70s Show) and Bijou Phillips (who knows who she is, this is the first time I've even hear of her) for Paper Magazine. Don't take it from me, let me show you the egregious quote directly from the source:

"At one point, Phillips goes off on a long tangent about the dangers of psychiatrists medicating patients for depression or anxiety. "My grandparents didn't take any pills and they were fine. Just buck up and get over it. Stop being such a [expletive] pansy," she says, her bird-like voice taking on a deeper tone. "


What?! Is she on crack or what?! No, just Scientology! Didn't John Travolta, not just finished losing his autistic son to a seizure? I will have to pull a Nancy Reagan, and "Just say No!" thanks to her advice.

The sad thing is that there are people who actually think this way. The worst part is that there are actually people who actually listen to this mess and believe it just because she said it was so.

They just don't have a clue that this is a diagnosable medical condition. A condition that needs medical attention. One million people commit suicide each year worldwide, tens of millions attempt. If depression could be controlled, then 90% of all suicides wouldn't happen.

How's that for star power? Thanks a million.

The Afterw@rd

No comments: