Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Dream Deferred...

Langston Hughes' poem A Dream Deferred always could get a rise out of me.

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?


My reading the poem always invoked the need for introspection. Was there a part of me unfulfilled? Have I not acted out on my wants and desires? Why could I not defy my environment and sow seeds of opportunities where none seemed to exists? This poem always served as my litmus test to self-realization. And yet, at it's core it again leaves me to ponder, what if the writer spoke on the unrealized dreams of someone with a mental illness?

It's one thing to have frustrated aspirations due to a lack of opportunity. Ghettos overflow with misguided talent. It's a whole other matter where one can't seem to untangle themselves to get from A to B. Where your follow-through challenges and coherence lies in your defective gene pool. It sort of sounds like being passed by a Nobel Prize committee despite one's obvious contribution to the end goal. So it's not enough to have done the work, you have to look the part.

Or else, what? Explode?

No comments: