Thursday, December 25, 2008

Counting Blessing this Holiday Season

Looking Back
Holidays are one of the toughest times for a survivor. This is particularly true for individuals who have experienced a recent loss. The one consolation is that tomorrow will be better, because when you are down, the only way to go is up. Know, it doesn't always hurt this much.

It may sound cheesy, but I find comfort in the Serenity Prayer. Regardless of your religious affiliation, or not, there is a lot about life in those wise words, because we will never have all the answers:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Looking Forward
This year has been a year of many revelations and blessings. I had friends and family that supported me this year in ways that will forever be with me. It defied odds and defined friendship. I count them as my angles.

One of these hard lessons was that I finally understood what it must have been like for my mother. Depression is a disease. You can't hide, change your genes, ignore your family history, or just snap out of it. You have to tackle it head on.

It took me 30 years to get a clue, Once I understood, everything that I saw in my life growing up and my own personal experiences clicked. Because people who avoid treatment, find ways to self-medicate. Be it constructive or destructive. You choose. But face it you must, because at some point you will run out of lucky charms.

Responsibility is a bittersweet pill. Engage. Be. Think. Act.

If you are touched by this topic join me on this journey.

Let's raise awareness and help educate. Mental health and depression is a disease. Treat it like one.

Be Blessed,

The Afterw@rd

No comments: